Croatan Institute hiring Research Analyst
Seeking Research Analyst
Croatan Institute, an independent, nonprofit research institute whose mission is to harness the power of investment for social good and ecological resilience, is seeking highly motivated candidates for a research analyst position.
Based in the research triangle region of North Carolina, with an extended team of affiliates in New York, Boston, and Geneva, the Institute is an early stage, entrepreneurial nonprofit working at the critical nexus where finance, sustainability, and economic development intersect. The ideal candidate would work closely with the Institute's team based at the American Underground complex in downtown Durham, NC, although remote candidates may be considered. This is currently a contract position with the expectation of a commitment of 25-30 hours per week and with the potential for increased hours and deeper integration into the work of the Institute.
Since the Institute's launch in 2014, we have rapidly established a reputation for rigorous, cutting-edge research and advocacy on a wide range of issues in sustainable finance and resilient economic development. The analyst's primary research focus will initially be on sustainable, responsible, and impact investing trends in the United States.
· Conduct qualitative and quantitative research, through a combination of publicly available sources, surveying, and phone interviews, on money managers and institutional investors that incorporate environmental, social, and governance (ESG) criteria into investment analysis, decision-making, and advocacy.
· Analyze and interpret data on sustainable, responsible, and impact investing trends.
· Assist with the development, population, and maintenance of customized databases relevant to impact investment and other forms of ESG investing.
· Provide support to research and educational projects focused on ESG investing themes, such as climate solutions and clean energy, sustainable food and agriculture systems, gender lens investing, diversity and inclusion, business and human rights, community development finance, place-based investing, and the impact of investor engagement.
· Create content for website and social media communications.
· Assist with logistics of multi-day conference and other smaller convenings.
· Regularly communicate with network and project partners.
· Contribute to and edit Institute reports and publications.
Qualifications and Expectations
· Bachelor's degree, with 3-5 years of relevant research experience.
· Outstanding academic record.
· Ability to conduct research and collaborate across disciplinary boundaries.
· Exceptionally strong research, writing, communication, and organizational skills.
· Strong analytic and quantitative skills, with a scrupulous attention to detail when handling complex datasets.
· Background experience in sustainability and a strong interest in the Institute's mission.
· Familiarity with sustainable finance and impact investing useful, but not required.
· Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with a team across multiple projects and time zones.
· Proficiency with MS Office Suite and SharePoint, Google G Suite, and other cloud-based applications, including Dropbox, Asana, social media and CRM tools.
· Experience with tools and techniques from data science, database design and management, and data visualization would be useful, but not required.
· A commitment to maintaining the security and confidentiality of highly sensitive data and information.
· Flexible and cooperative work ethic in a collegial, nonprofit startup culture.
Compensation will be commensurate with education and experience. For more information about Croatan Institute, please visit www.croataninstitute.org.
How to apply: Candidates should submit a cover letter, resume with at least three references, and relevant writing sample(s) as a PDF attachment to Dr. Joshua Humphreys, President, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Croatan Institute is an equal opportunity employer that strongly encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.