Croatan Institute hiring Executive Assistant
Seeking Executive Assistant
Croatan Institute, an independent, nonprofit research institute whose mission is to harness the power of investment for social good and ecological resilience, is seeking candidates for an executive assistant.
Based in the research triangle region of North Carolina, with an extended team of affiliates in New York, Boston, and Geneva, the Institute is an early stage, entrepreneurial nonprofit working at the critical nexus where finance, sustainability, and economic development intersect.
The Institute is seeking a diligent, flexible, and highly motivated individual to assist the Institute with a wide range of operational matters. The assistant will work closely with the Institute's President at Croatan Institute's offices at the American Underground complex in downtown Durham, North Carolina, but also with other team members working locally and remotely. While some work will be face-to-face with regular in-person meetings, many responsibilities can also be handled remotely and virtually.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
· Daily and weekly task management, scheduling, and agenda-setting with the Institute's President;
· Providing administrative support to the Institute's local and remote teams, such as coordinating meetings, event planning, arranging travel, and purchasing office equipment and supplies;
· Scheduling appointments and conference calls across multiple time zones;
· Processing accounts payable and receivable;
· Assisting with research and establishment of new systems for supporting operations;
· Assisting with communications, website, and contact relationship management;
· Supporting the Institute's Board of Directors and Board of Advisers.
Qualifications and Expectations
· Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience;
· Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team across multiple areas;
· Exceptionally strong communication and organizational skills;
· Extremely careful attention to detail, an ability to multitask, and strong time management skills;
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and SharePoint, Google G Suite, and other cloud-based applications, including Asana, Dropbox, and social media and CRM tools, such as Constant Contact, Paperless Post, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Salesforce (if you lack proficiency, then a ready willingness to learn these and other tools, as needed);
· Familiarity with "Getting Things Done" productivity systems, tools, and mindset – and an eagerness to support a team constantly seeking greater efficiency and productivity.
· Flexible and cooperative work ethic in a collegial, entrepreneurial early-stage nonprofit culture;
· A readiness to roll up your sleeves and work closely with the Institute's President to manage highly complex aspects of the Office of the President and the Institute as a whole;
· Comfort with quantitative and financial work: e.g., experience with Excel and Google spreadsheets expected, familiarity with QuickBooks accounting software desired, but not required;
· An interest in social media, nonprofit fundraising, and helping to shape the overall organization and orientation of a new nonprofit organization;
· Excellent academic record; and,
A strong interest in the Institute's mission.
The assistant will begin on a consulting basis, with weekly time commitments to be mutually determined. An initial commitment of at least 20 hours/week is expected, with opportunities to increase hours and responsibilities over time.
For more information about Croatan Institute, please visit www.croataninstitute.org.
How to apply: Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume with at least three references as a PDF attachment to Dr. Joshua Humphreys, President, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Croatan Institute is an equal opportunity employer that strongly encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.